Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Something to Write About?

So finally I got something to write about. Well, I usually have something to write about anyway, but ending up not able to write it up here. I don't know whether I'm still going to write about the sighting 2 years ago, where I saw my best multiple halo displays in just a short space of time. Well now, I'm going to post about my most recent impressive sighting I've seen in months.

Oh, and another thing. All my grades are out!! I'm very surprised because it's not my lowest grade at all! Far from it! I'm just very thankful to God that the grades came out very good indeed... I'm very happy!

Ahem, so let's continue on the topic of halos. The first one happened on April 19th this year. That day, I firstly saw the usual 22-degree radius. Then, I look up. At first, I'm not quite expecting anything to be honest, because the sun itself was already quite high on the sky (about 7.20 AM, according to the EXIF data). I couldn't believe my eyes because I saw another halo! This halo curves upwards opposite to the sun and have some bright colors, so the most appropriate halo to go with it was the Circumzenithal Arc, or just CZA to be short. This is the first time I saw one, after years of yearning to see this very beautiful halo. But then, when I look closely, another halo is also present. It's another circle, but it touches the CZA and about twice as far as the 22-degree one. I'm quite convinced that this is the Supralateral Arc. This is much rarer than the CZA, so I'm also very surprised (and happy) that I got to see one. On closer inspection on the photo, I also spotted something resembling the Upper Tangent Arc. This is expected, since the ice crystals of this arc is the same orientation with the ones creating the supralateral. So that's the first sighting to go with you. Here are the pics. These were edited to exaggerate the displays, since it's not that visible on the camera.



Here's the explanation on the halos :


That's about it on the first sighting. Let's move on to the second one. It's just happened a few days ago on May 30th, just before I went on my holiday to Yogyakarta with plane. As I arrived at the airport, I noticed beautiful crepuscular rays coming through from the clouds. I took a photo of it, then as usual trying to look for signs of halos (since the clouds looks like a good halo-making ones), and when I look up overhead... yep you guessed it. It's another CZA. But this time, since it's quite early in the morning (around 7 o'clock, from the EXIF) the CZA is much more spread out than the ones from April 19th. I am very happy indeed, since the CZA just seems to elude me from time to time. Now, I got two sightings in just under two months! How happy could I be? So of course, I just took photo of it. And the CZA this time is much more beautiful than from the sighting before - as I noted, this is much bigger and have clearer colors since it's earlier in the morning. It's not as bright as I hoped for, but still... it made me really happy afterwards. The sighting last about less than an hour, since when I took the last of the photos, it's gone in a few minutes time. There's no other halo seen that day, though. Here are the photos. Again, the photos are edited.



So that's it! My first post about halos since a long, long time... Hope you enjoy it! Ta ta!

No comments: